- Cisco NX3132-V Switch
- Switch upgrade fails. Afterwards, switch fails to post.
- As newly installed, the switch boots normally and can be rebooted without bricking/breaking.
- If upgrade is attempted, it will fail with the following:
Module 1: Refreshing compact flash and upgrading bios/loader/bootrom.
Warning: please do not remove or power off the module at this time.
Return code 0x40710008 (BIOS programming timed out). <<<<<<<<<
CAUTION: The BIOS/loader/bootrom of above module may be in corrupted state. Please try programming it again and DO NOT reboot without programming it successfully, otherwise you have to manually take out the flash from the card and program it in a BIOS programming station. Resetting boot variables. Please wait.
Install has failed. Return code 0x40930015 (Pre-upgrade of a module failed).
- The switch will continue to operate in this state, but if restarted, it will brick.
NOTE: The issue can be identified prior to attempting upgrade by running the following command and reviewing output:
# show version
- Output will display the BIOS version and BIOS compile time.
Example without issue/bug:
--- extra text removed ---
BIOS: version 04.24 <<< ---- This is what you expect to see
NXOS: version 7.0(3)I6(1)
BIOS compile time: 04/21/2016 <<< ---- This is what you expect to see
NXOS image file is: bootflash:///nxos.7.0.3.I6.1.bin
NXOS compile time: 5/16/2017 22:00:00 [05/17/2017 07:21:28]
Example with issue/bug:
BIOS: version <<<<< ---------- No Version found
NXOS: version 7.0(3)I4(1)
BIOS compile time: <<<<< ---------- No Compile time found
NXOS image file is: bootflash:///nxos.7.0.3.I4.1.bin
NXOS compile time: 5/15/2016 20:00:00 [05/16/2016 03:24:30